Monday 5 May 2014


Well, here I am - beginning my Gesture and Meaning blog for my studies with the OCA. This is my final level 2 module towards the BA (Hons). I had originally enrolled onto the Landscape module (paying in advance last year and putting it on hold to beat the price increase). By the time I'd finished PWDP I'd realised that even though the course has had a substantial re-write, incorporating a more contemporary approach to landscape photography, it really wasn't for me. I'm much more interested in making work that involves people - particularly involving constructed imagery - sometimes mixing it up with sequences containing more mundane compositions that I think add something to what I'm trying to say.

I kind of have a love hate relationship with people photography. I don't make portraits as such. It's more like asking people to assume a character for an image or project that I have in mind. In my experience the subjects certainly seem more willing to act out scenarios for me where they don't feel they are being scrutinised by the camera like they would in a traditional portrait. I've made more and more work like this during the course of PWDP and my interests certainly sit more alongside the projects in Gesture and Meaning than they do with the Landscape course.

So, here I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment