Thursday 5 March 2015

David Favrod

David Favrod caught my attention a couple of years ago. He makes constructed photography, often relating to memory or stories he was told by family members. He often uses props in his artistic practice too. There is a quirky nature to the work. In 'Hikari' Favrod photographs himself wearing a jumpsuit and a pair of wings - he looks like some sort of mad inventor and the image draws me in. The sequence relates to childhood stories of WWII told to him by his Japanese grandparents. The image of the little girl with the watermelon crash helmet is an inspired interpretation of her personal, and sadly unfortunate, story. The sequence of wooded landscapes have a bleakness to them that is informed by the constructed photographs - an extra dimension is given to the work by the juxtaposition of the two kinds of images. Favrod also uses text, layered across some of the images, that creates sounds in the mind (at least for those that can read Japanese).

Most importantly, room is left for the viewer to find a sense of common ground. They can interpret the work in ways that fit with their own personal experiences of family strength through hardship that is universal. OCA tutor, Sharon Boothroyd has an interview with Favrod on her blog Photoparley.



SB. "How important is mystery to you? And why? Do you want the viewer to bring something to the work?" 


DF. "Mystery is very important in my work. Indeed it’s really important for me that the viewer brings his or her own history to the work. I don’t explain in the exhibition the stories behind each images there is only my statement in the entrance. So the viewer has the general idea but I hope they will ask themselves to create their own story with the different images." Favrod (2014).


Full interview on Photoparley


With my last two assignments I've also attempted to explore themes that are personal to me that leave space for the viewer. I'm still finding my way, attempting to get the balance right. I'm not sure I'm there yet. Assignment 2 'Rubber Flapper' seems to be my most successful so far - even though it's not finished. The sequence has a direct narrative to follow unlike assignment 1 which uses dual narrative and is more open ended - again thinking to be done on this assignment too.

Seeing the work of photographers like David Favrod reinforces the belief that the constructed image can be used in many ways to create strong images with complex narratives. The visual language of photography is an effective way to show what often cannot be seen, cannot be found, cannot be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment