Friday 24 July 2015

Family


You Rejected Me

Through the sound of shears, clipping a hedge,
you rejected me.

Through the pain of loss, hands on a ledge, 1976,
you rejected me.

When the clipping paused, to stop and stare,
all through this, looking back,
you rejected me.


In my feedback for assignment 3, my tutor remarked that some of my self-portraits left the viewer with a number of unanswered questions:

'What is it about the setting of the plates being in a dark woodland floor?' You mention their significance to you but leave what this is unknown. How do they feature as an integral part
of your character? By leaving these and other questions unanswered you neglect the viewers perspective.'

This post is an attempt to address the issue. The emotional 'highs and lows' of past experience can bring different memories into focus. Taking the pain of the lows and analysing, using the remembered feelings and morphing them into something positive and creative, is often cathartic.

Thinking about this particular image today has resulted in the above poem. It reads like a narrative; of looking back to a particular moment in time. In fact, the poem is constructed from two difficult childhood memories that have left a very strong impression on me. Combined, the image and the words are a metaphor for the emotional pain that families casually inflict on one another in the domestic environment - and the after effects that ripple out from that. I think we can all relate to that. Do I need to explain any further? This image, if it stood alone, could be titled 'After You Died'.


6 comments:

  1. No need to explain more, just wondered if there will be more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, John
    I'm not sure if I'll make anything this specific. Lots of my feelings around childhood loneliness goes into my work. Even 'Rubber Flapper' using the context of confinement in a house has elements of me in it. I have the urge to incorporate green suburban hedges into imagery too - not sure how I'll manage that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful words Michael. What's wrong with unanswered questions for the viewer though?

    Green suburban hedges, unclipped, higher and higher, thicker and thicker, shutting out the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, as a student, I'm expected to provide more analysis of my work. This post, and others to come, are an attempt to put that right.

      Funny you should mention tall, thick, green hedges. The house I grew up in was almost blocked from view by them.

      Delete
    2. Have you had any ideas yet on how to incorporate the hedges into your imagery?

      Delete
    3. No firm ideas yet, Catherine - or for any particular project either. I think they may appear as backdrops, recurring themes. In fact, come to think of it I already used hedges in this way for a P&P assignment. Seems so long ago now!

      Delete